Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Anyone know of a calendar that lists what available crops are ripe when in the Valley? I mean items that one would possibly find growing in a public place, or perhaps from an overhanging branch.

Something like this (I just estimated the dates - feel free to correct me and add stuff!)

[ List removed - see attached PDF ]

Views: 154

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

i didn't realize my partner was logged in. this was actually my list, not that it really matters. but he probably has his own slightly different list.

by the way, i had been occasionally eating what i thought was purslane: Portulacca oleracea or some form of Portulacca, but i found out it is actually not in the same genus at all, and is sometimes called horse purslane. i read that there's disagreement about whether it's edible. i felt no ill effects, but since some native folks have said it's not edible, it makes me wonder. anyone know?
Huh. How bout that?

Now you have me curious about what we have growing. I gotta say, it looks like horse purslane (on the left, with the rounded leaves):

I ate some, and come to think of it, I did get a little queasy. But hard to say if it was from that, as I ate other things with it. However, I'll have to do further research, and in the future, treat it with caution.
yeah, the one with the rounded leaves, which is nice and succulent like purslane is a different plant. the book i read about this in had to be returned to the library and i don't have the title on me. i couldn't find anything online when i searched by the latin name of the plant the book gave. i will try to get the information again. or maybe someone out there has some information.
I've been eating it almost every day, approx. 20 leaves at a time and I've never felt sick. At first it seemed to activate the bowels a little, but I read that it was a side effect. I have a lot to learn so any information someone can provide on this would be much appreciated.
Pecan- Just in time for Thanksgiving Pecan Pie! mid to late november. :)
Carob ripens both early summer and late summer, depending on the tree. There are two carob trees in my neighborhood and one is ready to pick in June and the other one in August/September (right now actually!) Yum. I've seen a lot of dates now also bagged to keep the birds off them before harvest, meaning they are ripe. Mesquite has two seasons, like the carob, early summer and late summer. Actually, my screwbean mesquite put out pickable pods 2 months ago and there is a second harvest ready now. You just have to watch the mesquite and carob trees in the summer. Also the citrus harvest can vary depending on the variety.
I was going through old threads and found this. Did you finish your foraging list?? If not here is an Item to add.

Palo verde Tree Beans are awesome in Chili. and They are available around June. The best way to use them is fresh. They are very difficult to use once dried. I uses to pick and freese them . I have not been out in a few years to forage for them but they are tasty.
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they were edible.

No, I never got around to finishing it. I should go ahead and do that, since lots of things should be coming into season soon.
The dry palo verde beans are easy to mill into flower with a hand mill. I have mixed the palo verde flower with wheat flower and made very good pancakes and bread.
At last, I finally have version one of the calendar done. Let me know if you have any suggestions, edits, additions, etc.
Haha! I think someone else suggested that.

I was leery myself, but Googled it, and found that young plants can be eaten raw, and tender shoots can be cooked and eaten as greens or used as an ingredient.

We're talking about the green, still growing ones, btw, not the brown, blowy ones.

How they taste, I cannot say.

RSS

© 2018   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service