Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Hi everyone- I love following the site and have loved all that I've learned so far.  My journey into gardening, permaculture, and backyard animals has led me to finally purchase a larger lot... which means starting over on the garden and backyard orchard.

I'm looking for a few tips:

1) Is it OK to transplant the blackberries now?  I have Ouchita and Evergreen thornless varieties (planted last year, didn't get much off of them yet..)

2) I have a 2 2 year old apple tree planted backyard orchard style in the same hole.  Is that something I am able to transplant?  If so, I understand I should prune it down to size, and make sure to prune back any damaged roots.  Any other tips? 

3) Cuttings-  is it too late to take them?  Specifically on my Blackberries, and pomegranates.  If so, any tips or links to a simple method to get them to work?

Thanks!

-Trevor

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can always try to transplant things...I would recommend having the holes pre-dug before you dig up the transplants so that the process is quick and causes less stress to the plants. The only thing I would be concerned about is if you are selling your previous property, would removing these plants be in breach of the purchase contract...something to think about.

Cuttings are best taken from the trees and pomagranates while dormant. You should be able to dig runners from the blackberries and multiply the plants you currently have.

You can transplant the blackberries now.  You'll be better off starting over again with a new apple, unless you're willing to dig up a big rootball that extends to the drip line.  

Thanks Everyone!

I'll actually be renting the house out, so I kind of want to take out what I can before the renter's see it :)

These apple tree's really haven't grown much in the last two years, and they're located near a cinder block wall so I don't think they'll ever get enough chill hours where they're at to produce fruit.  Last year there were only a few blossoms on the Anna Apple and only 1 apple set, - the Golden Dorsett didn't even bloom (which was closer to the wall).

So another question- in taking a "cutting"... do I just cut a part of the tree off and stick in the ground, keeping it moist?

How do I make sure that it takes root?  

Should I stick it in a smaller pot that I can more climate control?

Thanks!

You can't just take a cutting of the apple tree since it has to be grafted on to root stock. The pomegranates however you can take a cutting and did it in rooting powder and then into a moist medium like perlite... Lots of good info on rooting here http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/rooting-cuttings-1

Thanks Erica, 

I've been poring over that thread, and I'll spend some time rooting my blackberries :)

-Trevor

Here's some instructions for rooting pomegranates from the University of Georgia

http://www.caes.uga.edu/Publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=7912

Propagation

Pomegranates can be propagated from softwood or hardwood cuttings. Hardwood cuttings are the preferred means of propagation, but softwood cuttings collected in early fall can be used with varying degrees of success. A tree from a hardwood cutting will bear fruit in year two after planting, while it will take at least three years from seed. Trees will reach maturity in five to seven years, and can live up to 200 years.

For hardwood cuttings, remove approximately 10 inches of one-year wood in late fall or early winter. Cuttings should be approximately ¼ to ½ inch in diameter, or about the same width as a pencil. Suckers from the base of the plant or from the interior of the canopy often make some of the best wood for cuttings. Cuttings can be propagated either in a pot containing a modified soil or soilless media or directly in ground, spaced about a foot apart in a nursery row. Stick the cuttings, leaving only 2 to 3 inches of the top of the cutting exposed. It is preferable to have at least three nodes under the surface. Rooting hormones, mist bed and root zone heating (75°F) will increase the success rate but are not required. Allow the cuttings to grow for the season. The following spring, transplant the cuttings bare root into the orchard at proper spacing.

One suggested protocol for propagating pomegranates is as follows:

1. Stick in February, after "dormancy" period is complete, in 1:1 vermiculite:perlite.
  2. After 1 inch of root growth, transplant into a tall pot with 1:1:1 peat:bark:perlite.
  3. After establishment, transfer to tall 1-gallon pots in soil, and support with bamboo.

RSS

© 2018   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service