Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

We just dug up the last of the sweet potatoes. There were lots of big ones, which is great for the kitchen, and also lots of little ones (2-3" long and 1/2 to 3/4" wide). Does anyone know if I can save these little ones for planting next spring? I was guessing that maybe I could by not rinsing them and keeping them dry in a paper bag in the refrigerator (like onion sets), but is that just wishful thinking? 

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jeff and Faraday,

Yes, the little ones are great for planting in the spring.  I have had good success overwintering them in the ground.  Since yours are already dug, you might want to try potting them up, which will keep them "corralled" until you get ready to put them in the ground in the spring.  Sweet potatoes have been very invasive in my garden even though I am not on irrigation. Water infrequently - once every 3 weeks or so - and keep in a cool place where they will not freeze (garage or carport?).  Which varieties did you grow this year?

HL 

You may not have to do anything.  Sweet potatoes are so invasive, you'll likely have tons of recruits showing up in the spring from rootlings that are still in your beds.  It took three years of aggressive weeding to clear my beds of them.

Thanks for your replies Hi and Andrew.

This area is away from the main garden, so I'm not too worried about it's invasiveness (famous last words I'm sure!) & we love sweet potatoes. I think they'll stay there since we don't water anything around that area.

I dug them all out (well, actually we'll see about that!) in preparation to vigourously dig in copious compost and re-plant the area with collards and carrots for the remainder of the cool season. If sweet potatoes sprout up next spring, that's perfect. Plus, I'll keep the little ones I dug in the frig until then too & then plant them in the warming soil.

Variety ? I'm not sure - they were organic, common kind with red skin & deep orange flesh from Sprouts.

Farraday

RSS

© 2019   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service