Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Honey Bee Deaths Higher Again in 2012-2013 Winter: One-Third of American Colonies Died Out

Interesting article.

Neonicotinoid Clothianidin Pesticide and Honey Bees:  “Among the neonicotinoids, clothianidin is among those most toxic for honey bees; and this combined with its systemic movement in plants has produced a troubling mix of scientific results pointing to its potential risk for honey bees through current agricultural practices. Our own research indicates that systemic pesticides occur in pollen and nectar in much greater quantities than has been previously thought, and that interactions among pesticides occurs often and should be of wide concern.” - James Frazier, Ph.D., Prof of Entomology,    Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences

Source: http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=2091&category=Environment

We rarely use pesticide although I am having a termite problem. Will make sure none of these chemicals are listed.

We all need to do our part and avoid using these chemicals.

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can help by not buying or applying any "systemic" pesticide sold in any of the big box stores.  The most common and readily available of these is imidacloprid, which is a neonicotinoid sold under the "Bayer Advanced" label.  Keep away especially from "Bayer Fruit, Citrus, and Vegetable Insect Control" or "Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control."

This stuff is incredibly effective.  Most insects that sample flowers, gnaw on the roots, or eats fruit of a plant contaminated with imidaclopid will die.   I'm not certain if this is something any of you would like to put in your body, but growers have been using this stuff like water for the last few years to increase crop yields of large, blemish free fruit because neonicotinoids are potent, incredibly easy to apply, and don't require multiple applications.

Andrew I'm going to re-post your references on facebook - I won't mention your name.

Besides the pesticides (including Roundup) that harm honey bees +, cell phones and all the electro-magnetic pollution permeating the air. Of course, that has a detrimental effect on our brains, too. Blessings, jw

Here's another article showing how potent these neonicotinoids are.  The pesticide "Safari," which was applied mistakenly, is dinotefuran, another neonicotinoid.  

"More than 50,000 bees killed in Oregon, insecticide blamed in largest bee die-off in recorded history"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346864/More-50-000-bees-ki... 

It should be noted that these were native bumble bees, so not only were thousands of bees killed (and god only knows how many other insects too) but their colonies were also destroyed since the queens are not like the european honey bees and they actually go out and forage too. Bumble bees usually nest underground and have smaller hives. 

Love that the UK news has way more info, while the "USA" news says that the bees were killed by the pesticide or perhaps the linden trees did, since they are known to be toxic to bees... can't seem to find any info at THAT reported "fact". 

all for aphids, I guess they pee on the parkers in the lot and that is just TOO GROSS for us humans to endure, aphid pee is of course terrible. Just like getting a bit of spit in your face, only bug pee is soooo much worse. Kill them all and let god sort it out...

All just another sad reminder of the why - the problem is educating the general public.

I wonder if the Phoenix Permaculture can take a stand against the use of certain pesticides. That would be start.

We don't have enough bees around this summer to pollinate our beans & squash.  The ants are helping a bit with the squash, and we hand-pollinate as well, but the beans just bloom & bloom without making any beans.  Scary to think of a world without pollinators.

Marsha, it is important to have something flowering in the gardens year-round to draw the pollinators in - just an FYI.

RSS

© 2019   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service