Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Does anyone know who I can get my bougainvillea flowers to change colors? I have a couple white ones and now I want them to be the dark red color. There are a few branches on the plants that are turning pink. I know it's possible, because I have seen the plants change colors. Sorry, but I am going to cross post this, because I really want to know.

Views: 2239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that the color differences in your bougainvillea are due to breeding. I have a white one that occasionally gets pink flowers, but I think it is just because of the genes from it's "ancestors" coming through. I'm going to look this up and let you know if I find anything.

I know how to get them to change brown.

Seriously though, I would expect if they have this ability it is due to an integrated virus or "jumping gene."  Love to know myself.

I've never seen a bougainvillaea change colors, but I've only grown the red, which appears to be the more dominant variety.  I imagine some of the red genes are poking through on the white on occasion. 

However, you might take a cue from Hydrangeas, by adjusting soil pH you can change their color. 

I've been researching this bougainvillea topic and I believe that the color variations in them is due to breeding as they are all different cultivars (cultivated varieties). Soil ph doesn't affect the color, only the health of the plant. Good thought, though. I'm afraid the only way to get a different color of bougainvillea is to buy one or spend the time to cultivate it through years of selective breeding.

Thanks for checking Cricket.  The ones that changed their color were a purple and brown one from HD, so who knows maybe they were spray painted.  Plus they died soon after.

RSS

© 2019   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service