Arizona Herb Association Forum

supporting growing and using herbs in the Sonoran Desert

The AZ Herb Association is an educational nonprofit, established to encourage growing, using and understanding herbs and herbal lore.

I found this article at the organic seed alliance website, you may want to check it out...
http://www.seedalliance.org/index.php?page=SeminisMonsanto

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an amazing article. Thanks so much fo posting - I'm still thinking about the implications...
I keep thinking, why or how can anyone STOP this company!
I also own the video "The world according to Monsanto" but I'm not able to added because the file is too large. I think I'm going to try to send the zip file to Jennifer see what she can do.
This quite literally makes me feel sick as well as helpless. I can stop purchasing any seed from anyone connected with Seminis but that is nothing more than a wee tiny drop in the monstrously huge bucket. I am truly afraid of what I see happening - and it is happening so fast it is though we are being run over by an out-of-control freight train and we, as individuals, are not strong enough to even slow it down. Even if we "religiously" plant and grow 100% organic our plants can be contaminated with pollen from pollinators on the move or simply by wind. The monster has already been unleashed and it cannot be trapped and destroyed.

Lindy
I think the only way we could make a difference, would be sharing the information, so more and more people become aware of what is happening to their food! Most people are not even aware of what it happening, or health, environmental and cultural implications this events have. Awareness/education can be the only tool we may have to fight this monster/evil. I truly believe this organization is evil (Monsanto).
In the net they are called monsatan and it fits!
If anyone want the video "the world according to Monsanto"just email me. I'll see if i can email the zipped file, not sure if zipped it is small enough to email. if not you can view the whole video at: http://wideeyecinema.com/?p=105
The youtube version is not edited right and there are huge gaps!
Just a suggestion, consider The Nature Conservancy model. Buy Monsanto stock. If enough people of like thinking do that then Monsanto would be your company and you could do as you wish. If Monsanto really is evil the problem would be solved. However, I think Monsanto is merely a symptom.

I don't think there are that many people here who would hard to convince of your cause. And actually I think if you went door to door with a few scary facts you'd find most people wouldn't like most farming practices. But when it comes to paying a bit more and reduced variety then support falls off. And when you go outside the US the issues become a lot more real as not everyone has the access to food we do. Any reduction in food is going to be seen in poor areas first. We have the cash, we'll continue to buy food for ourselves in huge amounts, food for our pets, heck we even buy human food to put on our gardens which makes one's head spin.

For some people it isn't as simple as Monsanto is evil. A group with a logical plan like buying Monsanto stock is something I could get behind. Making up cute names like Monsatan, while entertaining, is a bit Fox News and hard to take serious.

You asked why more people aren't up in arms and so this is my perspective.
Check out these stories on "The Nature Conservancy Model"
I especially like the story of the oil drilling by the Conservancy, and it's effect on the bird they were "preserving." Or, receiving land as a "donation" then selling it back to the donators at a reduced rate, so that there is a GREAT BIG tax write off, for the donors of course. Or, giving loans to their board members at spectacular rates, along with selling land lots overlooking the Conservancy's beautiful land acquisitions. Also known as conservation easements.

Monsanto stock? $72/share. I am sure all the poor people on the earth can spare for a share, even a poor american.
"In Monsanto v. Geertson Seed Farms, No. 09-475, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case which could have an enormous effect on the future of the American food industry. This is Monsanto's third appeal of the case, and if they win a favorable ruling from the high court, a deregulated Monsanto may find itself in position to corner the markets of numerous U.S. crops, and to litigate conventional farmers into oblivion."

Stephen Breyer
Charles Breyer, the judge who ruled in the original decision of 2007 which is being appealed, is Stephen Breyer's brother, who apparently views this as a conflict of interest and has recused himself.

Clarence Thomas
From the years 1976 - 1979, Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto. Thomas apparently does not see this as a conflict of interest and has not recused himself.

Fox, meet henhouse."

Read the full article here on the history of this landmark case, and on April 27, 2010 the Supreme Court will hear this case, with a former Monsanto lawyer on their side...

Time to save your own seeds, and support companies that are not connected to MonSatan. This is serious stuff.
If you haven't seen the movie "Food Inc.," check it out. It was amazing, disturbing and talked a great deal about Monsanto.

As an aside from Monsanto - the film was the single driving factor in my decision to reduce my meat/poultry consumption and start buying grass fed and true free range. Soon as we use up what we already had in the freezer, we're making the switch.
Then MonSatan taking over the seed and monopolizing the industry should be even more relevant to you.

Also, they are trying to introduce GE alfalfa and the FDA pretty much is giving the stamp of approval to it without any real research into the effects on non-GE alfalfa. This would be the first PERENNIAL GE crop, fed to your meat animals. Cross pollinating with your grass fed/free range alfalfa. Milk, cheese, eggs, meat-all have the potential of being contaminated with GE genes.

The public comment period ended March 3rd.

Control the food-control the world.
There're also the "Round Up ready" soybeans. I'm thinking it will not be too long before whatever gene(s) they manipulated pass along to other species, like Bermuda Grass. Hopefully they won't somehow bioengineer a "you can't even pull the s-#% up anymore" plant in the future.

In Food, Inc., one part that really got to me was the criminalization of seed saving. Horrific.
Soon enough a law firm will figure out that they can create a stream of income challenging Monsanto's cross-pollination and contamination of the food crops. Remember, the first one now will later be last.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Liz Lonetti.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service