Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Where do you find them?  

Can they be grown in a large pot to keep it from spreading?

Full sun?

Views: 4706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been curious about the flavor and I bought some in the Asian market on 43 Ave and Union Hills; I must say that I wasn’t too impressed with its flavor, I don’t know what kind they were, but for those of you who grow them in your garden, I will interested in buying some so I can have a taste of a another kind before I make up my mind about growing my own tree, so if you any for sale please contact me and I am willing to drive up to 35 miles, I live of 35th ave and Dunlap in Phoenix. Thanks!

the best tasting ones are tree-ripened, and bought late season. Some of the sweetest and juiciest: honey jar and contorted, are still not available commercially.

moreover, the apple overtones and the relatively dry pulp turn people off, as people evidently expect something bigger and juicier than apples--- if they have to eat something new that already  tastes like an apple.

it is also quite  an acquired taste. Most jujube lovers that i know( including the huge jujube proponent like myself) were not impressed  the first time trying this weird fruit. For some reason, the taste gets better the next time around, and some point in the future,  there's even a good chance that one will actually  find one's self eating more jujubes than apples..

So true. The first fresh one I ate reminded me of grass. For some reason though, the second one always tastes better. I really liked the fruit on my little Shanxi Li this year. Very sweet with a nice flavor.

good for you! My shanxi li procrastinated all summer. It flowered a bit and sent out a few twiglets, but no fruit and no substantial growth.

but still hoping it will redeem itself next year.

I dug up 2 from up north and planted them in Glendale. I have no idea which type it is. The big one up north is very tall, about 20 ft. They all have thorns, the fruit is brown. I eat them when they've dried, not quite as sweet as dates but very good in baking or oatmeal.  They do get a very deep tap root, as Rafael had said, so I'm not sure about a pot. Would have to be a really big pot and then I don't know about it becoming pot bound. We have a pretty big Madagascar palm, and that's in a pot but it is much slower growing. I get a lot of free trees from dropped fruit I don't pick up (or the dog doesn't eat) and they will be like about a foot tall & wide shrub within a year.

I'm just growing mine in pots until I get them planted in Sunizona. I bought the Li & a Sherwood from a grower in your area. Both were mega root bound when I bought them. The tap roots had already blown out the bottoms of the pots. 

I really have become a huge fan of these trees. Here is a farm in Ca. that grows them in what appears to be just sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-YWfmeuktg 

thanks for sharing! while am happy for the owner(and am sure that owner is one really happy guy throwing jujube buffet parties yearly), i am just as inspired---as i am envious, haha

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service