Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Dear Folks,

I have to use a link to my external blog post for this month's tips - I had the worst time formatting stuff today on my computer, so it is just easier this time for me to give you a link.

Catherine's September blog post

Here is a link to last years September Tips on the Forum here.

Have a great week in the garden!

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for this. I've been searching high and low for details about how to properly trim back my sun damaged tomatoes. Now I know!

You are welcome, Claudette.  Whenever pruning sun or frost damage in the desert garden, it pays to go slowly over several days so the undergrowth can adjust to the sun.  Even in the cool times of the year our sun is very intense.  However that intensity results in great flavor! :-)

Catherine, do you have any tips on things to plant at this time of year that will produce bee-friendly flowers relatively quickly? Nothing in my yard is blooming and I'm not sure which annuals will flower reliably.

Lauren you can try portulaca (moss rose)  They do very well in the heat and they "want" to flower now (related to purslane) because they need to go to seed when the weather cools in late Sept and early October.  The bees love them.  You can transplant them now.  The rest of the fall flowers noted in my post link need to be sown so they will germinate as the soil cools.

Thanks Catherine, I'm going to try and find some ASAP!

Catherine, thank you so much again for posting your tips, they are always very much appreciated! 

Bean question:  You list "bush and pole beans" by first week of September at the latest. 

Where do Tepary beans fit into this? Are they either bush or pole, or something else?  I got a couple of packets from Native Seed Search and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with them.

Hi Charles.  Tepary beans are in a class of their own, however you can certainly try them right now. 

This bean is native to this area and is part of a traditional Monsoon garden of Native Americans.  Typically planted with the first good rain of the Monsoon in early July, they need the heat and not have their roots soggy.

If you want to try a few right now, go ahead, but save the rest for next late June/early July.

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service