Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

I've been successfully composting for quite a few years and have always had a few various bugs in my compost.  But this year the cockroaches are way more numerous than ever before.
As soon as I start to spray water on the pile they start scurrying in every direction.
I have mostly veggie scraps; occasionally add shredded paper; less occasionally a bag of grass clippings that I got from someone (we don't have grass in our neighborhood); once or twice a year I add horse manure.  Recently I added extra grass in an effort to crank up the heat and kill them off but that didn't do anything.
I live in Mesa.
Any suggestions?

Views: 698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't be thrilled about roaches in my worm bins!  This website for DE states that it can kill worms though: https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/faq/pest-control/outdoor/#does-de...

I would try setting dishes of the DE in the worm bed so you can remove it after the roaches have had a chance to walk through it.  

It would also kill many of the smaller critters that help decompose a compost bin, so I think it's too broad and indiscriminate at killing bugs for use in the compost pile.  maybe all around the pile so that the cockroaches that run out run through it?

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service