Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

I have a very large mesquite tree and we love it for harvesting mesquite beans, and the wonderful shade it provides but it is in danger of breaking because it needs trimmed. I have never paid someone to trim my trees but this is just too big a job for me. I do not want them to butcher the tree within an inch of its life. I like it big but I want it healthy big nott in danger of breaking big. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It depends on where you live in the valley for their service area.  Such pruning should take place in late November - December - early January.

In alphabetical order:

Arbovision

Integrity Tree Service
Sonoran Tree Service

The Tree Amigos

I should say a few things: First, native (?) mesquite trees should not need pruning.  The pruning fairies don't magically visit the trees in nature to keep them healthy, and there is nothing magical about your yards location that changes that.  But your yards environment can alter this.

Pruning is done to remove branches in your way, that are growing to contact a structure or have suffered damage.

If the tree is suffering limb breakage then it is likely receiving too much water, and is growing too fast so its wood is spongy rather than solid.  Since native trees as a general rule once established do not need supplemental watering (no magical watering fairies out there in the wild either) if they have a supplemental watering source then they are growing too fast.

Of course landscapers get no money if they have nothing to do.  So have exactly what you want in mind.  Wind resistance and pod production.  Anything else?

I appreciate the advice. I think over watering is part of the problem, I also think the way the tree was trained is another part. I don't know if it is native or not but I highly suspect it. It was supposed to be non-native but the monstrous thorns and the taste of the pods tells me otherwise. I have tried to reduce it's water but it gets irrigation from our neighbor. It is also in the way of city services like trash pick up. I'll keep in mind waiting another month to have the work done though. It probably won't break before then.

I would think monstrous thorns and presumably good taste if you are harvesting it equals honey mesquite, but you should be able to ID species with this:

http://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs...

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1048.pdf - care

I've been so busy but I finally identified our tree. It's an Argentine Mesquite. Which explains it's height that has gotten a bit out of control.

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service