Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Does anyone have luck growing these? I've had a few burn up and was curious if they are fruiting in the valley. Mostly curious about sun requirements. Filtered? Full? In bright shade (against a north facing wall)? 

Thanks 

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to Al And Jane Falkenstein's tour and they grow quite a few Pitahayas and they do produce fruit. (see center picture under their name)

http://www.azrfg.org/festivalOfFruit/tours.html#falk

As you can see, they are under shade cloth, even in November.  

They can be planted at the base of a citrus or palm tree and trained up the trunk.  

Here are some of my disjointed notes:

Must have shade

Best not to water just before picking fruit

Prune for more fruit

Pollinate at night when blossom opens

Pollen can be refrigerated up to 8 days

Fruit ripens around 45 days after pollination

Propagation-cut at the joints and cure for 3 days before planting

To prevent birds from pecking at fruit, wrap with blue towel and fasten

great notes!!!  I have other friends who are growing these successfully.  Such a great plant, but don't think of it as a desert cactus, think of it as a rain forest cactus.  They do like their canopy shade!!

Great responses! pictures of these growing successfully? I'm agonizing over whether or not I want to go through the torture of having them get nice and big, and then fry up again. I'm still somewhat puzzled over sun requirements but perhaps the best way to know for sure, is to try.

I know his is an old post, but I recently got gifted a pitahaya from a visitor and before I cut it open and enjoy I wanted to see if anyone has advice on starting my own plant from seeds? 

Put it in dirt. Super easy to sprout

Brian, should I use tweezers to get the seeds spaced out or just toss a chunk of the fruit in dirt? Also, would planting in a pot be appropriate?

Yes. Don't over think it. Either will work. They sprout pretty quickly too fwiw

DO NOT eat it with anything sweet.  The fruit is so low in sweetness that anything sweet with it OR BEFORE IT will make it taste like eating water.  BUT if your tongue has not been preconditioned with anything sweet then you will hopefully find them quite tasty (watermelon to me with different texture).  You can eat something sweet afterwards if you wish.  That is, make dragonfruit the first desert on the menu.

very exciting post, I have one in a pot on my patio that faces east, and yet I still see sunburn on it. I have a palm in a shady spot in my yard and I will plant it and let it grow up the palm! Mine hasn't fruited yet, but I have only had it about a year. Thank you for sharing this information! 

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service