Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County that thrives

Maricopa County Food System Coalition Forum is a social network

Hello all,

I am new to the site and new to Arizona.  I'm very interested in permaculture techniques, and I had wanted to keep chickens at my new home for eggs, manure and as pets, but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed by the HOA.  I can find almost no information on anyone who keeps chickens in Pinal county or the town of Maricopa proper, and the zoning information I did find leads me to believe Pinal county leaves it up to the individual communities (HOAs) to decide. 

Does anyone from the town of Maricopa keep chickens inside an HOA community?  If so, did you get special permission from your HOA and do you have tips for how to approach them on this subject? 

Thanks for your help!

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read your CC & Rs(Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) and understand for yourself what the rules are for chickens in your neighborhood.  They should be available to you if you have a HOA.  If it doesn't mention anything about pets or chickens/poultry then you need to follow your city (or if not in a city, county) codes.

If the CC&Rs prohibit chickens then there isn't much you can do other than get the rules changed.  They, more than likely, won't make an exception for you.  You can always try it and see if anyone complains but that can be costly and heart breaking.

I live in a neighborhood with a HOA but the CC & Rs do not prohibit chickens. I lucked out.  :)   They do prohibit rabbits,  goats and other livestock, though. 

Good luck!

Thanks, Becky. Unfortunately my CC&R's are somewhat vague - at first read you'd think they're prohibiting all poultry (ie, chickens) but allowing "fowl" (where I used to live, fowl were considered gamebirds such as turkeys, ducks, quail, etc) so long as they aren't a nuisance. So it's ok to keep turkeys but not chickens? That doesn't make sense to me. Or it could be interpreted that a chicken, kept as a "yard pet" is acceptable, but not one kept for "commercial purposes or in unreasonable numbers."  The various definitions I've read elsewhere indicate fowl could refer to any kind of bird, including a chicken. Maybe they are purposefully vague so as to retain a right to refuse or approve depending on the situation. I guess I'll just have to ask them what they mean. 

"Animals:

No animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on or within any Lot or structure thereon except that dogs, cats or other common household or yard pets may be kept on or within the Lots, nor may any permitted animal type be kept, bred or maintained for any commercial purpose, or in unreasonable numbers as determined by the Architectural Committee. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no aminals or fowl may be kept on any Lot in such a manner that results in a nuisance to, that is an unreasonable annoyance to, or that are obnoxious to other Owners or tenants in the vicinity. All pets must be kept within a fenced yard or on a leash under the control of the Owner at all times. No structure for the care, housing or confinement of any animal or fowl may be located on any Lot so as to be Visible from Neighboring Property."

Poultry means Chickens. So what your CC&Rs are saying are "No chickens of any kind shall be raised, bred or kept on or within any Lot or structure thereon.. Chickens are not considered "common household or yard pets".

The answer would be no. Sorry.

zombie thread rising

RSS

© 2017   Created by MarCo Food Coalition.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service